Monday 9 January 2017

A short sabbatical to 'self soothe' and get myself on the road to recovery from PTSD

Well, 2017 was supposed to herald my return to work (self-employed) but I took one look at my computer keyboard and went into a panic (damn that PTSD). Nevertheless I made the decision to plough on with that huge and immensely helpful book The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Dr Bessel van der Kolk, one of the world's foremost experts on trauma / Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. (This link summarises the book well.) Dr vdK also talks about yoga as an evidence-proven method of helping PTSD sufferers to recover. So I'm planning to do some yoga very soon. Next week, with any luck.


I have also booked a massage, hair cut & colour and plan go back to the gym with a view to getting my fitness back ready for this year's cycling. Plus I'll be seeing my EMDR therapist.

Oh it all sounds so positive and 'self-soothing', but it was really difficult - so much easier to just let the panic consume me and disappear under the duvet for a fortnight.

Difficult to book a massage and hair-do?

Yes, truly.

For the past few weeks it's been difficult to do anything except knit and watch Downton Abbey box sets...

Damn this PTSD. 

But by hook or by crook 2017 is the year I get rid of it for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment