Monday 16 May 2016

Talking about eating disorders at my son's old school this afternoon

If anyone had said to me a couple of years ago that I would be looking forward to doing a talk on anything, let alone a talk on eating disorders, I'd have said they were mad! But, strangely, since the eating disorders talk for parents and carers which I did at the Institute of Psychiatry the other year and the similar talk I did earlier this year in Edinburgh, I've discovered that giving talks on eating disorders gives me quite a buzz! How odd is that?! Especially for someone that's inherently shy! It's like some actors, I guess, who transform once in front of the footlights.


So this afternoon I've put together a 50-minute talk for school staff / teachers, primarily about anorexia (as that's what my son had) with specific reference to boys with eating disorders.

The talk is in 3 parts: an introduction to eating disorders (primarily anorexia), myths, facts, etc; our story and how the school helped make things easier for us as a family; and finally some strategies that staff might wish to adopt, with reference to the BRILLIANT and INFORMATIVE NEDA (National Eating Disorders Association) Educator Toolkit booklet. Accompanied by my PowerPoint presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment