Wednesday 4 January 2012

Have you joined the ATDT forum yet?

What is the ATDT (Around The Dinner Table) forum? It is a forum aimed at supporting parents of young people who are suffering from the full range of eating disorders, including anorexia and bulimia. Some of these parents are new members, others are 'old timers' like me, now into my third year on the forum.


As I posted on the forum today in response to another post by my dear friend Charlotte:

I am constantly plugging this forum on my blog because it helped me so much - and you helped me so much, Charlotte.

Yes, forum members sometimes provided workable answers to pressing issues, but most times it was the SUPPORT I received, knowing there were other parents out there going through something similar, or who had been through it and come out the other end successfully. Knowing that, because of its global reach, there was always going to be a 'shoulder to cry on' at 2am in the morning (and that, more often than not, you, dear Charlotte, would be pottering around your kitchen!)

Another major thing this forum has done is to educate me and point me towards other invaluable resources - and also sort out my own thinking on the world of EDs.

As a reasonably 'old timer' myself, now entering my 3rd year on this forum, it is still great to know that the other 'old timers' are out there to offer help - that they still care, rather than disappearing off the radar once their child has reached recovery.

That, plus the amazing group of friends I have built up on Facebook, many of whom have come via this forum.

At the end of the day, no two families' ED experiences are exactly the same, so what works for one person may or may not work for another. However there are usually a heck of a lot of overlaps, not to mention the way we, as parents, have all experienced hell in a way that 'civvy street' could never understand.

So if you feel some support would be helpful, why not pay ATDT a visit today? It was a lifesaver for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment